Story By: James King, Sub-Editor: Marija Stojkoska, Agency: Newsflash
An American dad was shocked after looking in his 12-year-old daughter’s eyes and discovering she was “high as a kite” after she ate cannabis-laced cupcakes made for a friend by the girl’s dad.
The schoolgirl has admitted she had been warned “these are not from the grocery store” when she and other classmates tucked into the birthday girl’s cupcakes on Thursday, 9th December.
However, they had no idea that the cupcakes contained THC, which is the active ingredient of cannabis.
Speaking to local media, Isaac Hernandez, the father of one of the 12-year-old girls affected, said: “At first I was shocked how she was reacting because I’ve never seen her like that.”
He said he had received a call from the school in Cypress, Texas, to collect his daughter, who was with the school nurse.
He said that when he got to the Spillane Middle School to collect the seventh-grader, he saw that she was “pacing back and forth” and that her eyes were “wide open”.
Another family member said that one of the girls at school was celebrating her birthday and had brought the cupcakes to share with other students.
Hernandez’ daughter, who was not the only one to be taken ill, even texted her dad to say that she felt like she was in a dream and couldn’t wake up.
He said that after picking her up from school, they then took her to hospital, where she was tested at his request because he wanted to know what she had taken.
A test at the hospital and at a private lab both showed that the daughter was positive for THC, which is the active ingredient in cannabis.
The angered dad accused the school of trying to brush the situation under the carpet by playing it down and pointing out that the other children had simply felt dizzy.
His own daughter has since recovered, but the police have been informed and are reportedly investigating the situation without commenting further.