A toddler who was given daily calcium supplements has been hospitalised after two coin-sized stones formed in his urethra and he was unable to pee for 11 hours.
The incident took place in the city of Harbin in China’s northernmost province of Heilongjiang when two-year-old Mumu was in extreme pain and unable to pee for 11 hours.
His concerned dad took the toddler to a nearby hospital where he was diagnosed with two stones in his urethra that were as large as coins, according to local media.
After many hours in pain, Mumu’s family had to calm down the young boy and doctors managed to break up the stones with extracorporeal shock wave therapy (ESWT).
Little Mumu immediately felt the need to pee and was able to discharge some of the stone fragments, according to reports.
Doctor Hou told local media: “The broken stones cannot be discharged in one go and Mumu still requires further treatment.”
The boy’s unnamed father said: “We gave Mumu calcium supplementation milk power and although he loves vegetables, he rarely drinks water.”
Doctor Hou said: “If someone takes too much calcium, it can lead to the formation of calcium salt deposits in the urinary system and eventually urinary stones.
“We advise parents to give their children lots of water and not too much calcium supplementation.”
The ViralTab page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.