This photo shows the blistered and bruised leg of an 11-year-old boy who had to undergo surgery after he was bitten by a venomous snake.
Young Joao Pedro Grecco Goncalves had accompanied his dad and grandpa on a fishing trip and was playing near a pile of wood when the reptile bit him.
The incident took place in the municipality of Sao Roque in the Brazilian state of Sao Paulo on Sunday, 31st August.
Tamyres Cristine Grecco, the boy’s mum, told news portal G1 that her son told his dad he had hurt himself but didn’t know how.
She said it was only when family friends returned to the location that they found the snake, but they were unable to capture it.
Though the boy’s family cleaned his wound, the pain got worse and he had to be taken to the Santa Casa de Sao Roque hospital, from which he was immediately transferred to the Conjunto Hospitalar de Sorocaba in the city of the same name.
He was given antivenom and was given a treatment to reduce the risk of a haemorrhage.
The brave youngster underwent an operation on Monday, 1st November, to prevent the swelling caused by the bite from affecting other parts of his body.
Tamyres posted a video of the upbeat youngster to social media, where he thanked people for their prayers and blood donations.
As of the last update on 3rd November, Joao Pedro remained in hospital and his discharge date had not yet been set.
The species of snake that bit the young boy is not currently known.