Ballerina Murdered By Escaped Convict Looking To Kill

  • Post author:
  • Post category:Crime

Story By: Les Steed, Sub-Editor: Marija Stojkoska, Agency:  Newsflash

A beautiful young ballerina was murdered while walking home from a class teaching kids to dance when she was followed by an escaped convict ‘planning to kill’.

Convicted murderer Ozgur Arduc, jailed for 20 years in 2005, had escaped on 1 December last year and told a court he had been roaming the streets in the Black Sea coastal city of Ordu looking for someone to kill.

When interviewed about the murder he admitted: “I followed many women planning to kill them. But I could not do it as there were many people around.”


He said he had already stolen a knife because he knew he wanted to kill someone, but had constantly not found the right moment until he suddenly spotted Ceren Ozdemir, a 20-year old ballerina in her third year in Ordu University’s Department of Fine Arts.

She had just left the class where she had been teaching children and he followed her, and after asking a question so that he could approach, he had suddenly pulled out the knife and stabbed her twice before grabbing a handbag and running off.

The court heard testimony that he had added: “I’m not sorry for what I did.”


On the next day, he was looking for a second victim, but he was identified by shopkeepers who had seen CCTV footage shared by police of him following his victim, and who called police.

While bundling him into the police car he had again attacked the officers, causing serious injuries to 2 of them and resulting in attempted murder charges in addition to the charge of murder of the young ballerina.

The court convicted him of the murder of the young woman sentencing him to life, however, they criticised the local prosecution office for delays in providing evidence over the attack on the two policemen that have been done using the same knife he used to kill the young woman.


As the result of the delays the trial and the attempted murder charge at the 1st High Criminal Court of the Army had to be adjourned until 19th of January for the forensic report to be provided.

The 36-year-old accused was present only via video link-up because of the coronavirus restrictions.

Asked if he had any comment, he said: “I am very tired that this case has been going on for 7.5 months, let’s finish this job.”

He was returned to Van High-Security Prison where he will be serving his life sentence for aggravated murder.


The attack on the young woman is just one of a growing number of violent incidents involving the murder of women sparking growing calls for more to be done to protect them.

Campaigners are urging the judiciary to be stricter with enforcing existing laws, but instead, it seems the government contemplating going the other way and withdrawing from Istanbul Convention which offers protection to women against domestic violence.

The ViralTab page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.