Story By: William McGee, Sub-Editor: Marija Stojkoska, Agency: Newsflash
This baby who suffered a rash to 72 percent of her body following an allergic reaction to an anticonvulsant has finally been extubated after she spent 19 tense days intubated.
One-year-old Helena Cristina was finally extubated on Monday, 4th October, following her admission to the ICU of the Hospital de Queimaduras de Goiania (Goiania Burn Centre) in the Brazilian city of the same name a month prior.
The youngster was admitted to the burn centre with a severe rash she suffered as an allergic reaction to an anticonvulsant.
Her father, 38-year-old sales rep Hugo Cristiano Penno da Silva from the nearby city of Anapolis, said: “She’s doing well, she’s now urinating without the tube and just keeps it to feed.”
“She’s moving in the right direction. Of course, we’re hoping her recovery will speed up, but we know it’s a long process.”
“She’ll have to wear a face mask and special clothing for some time to protect her body from sunlight and other radiation.”
According to Hugo, the nightmare started when little Helena started to suffer spasms in August.
She was prescribed Lamotrigine, which resulted in her skin breaking out in blisters in early September.
Hugo said: “We did everything in accordance with medical advice.”
After her condition worsened, Hugo and the baby’s mum took her to the burn centre, where doctors immediately identified the medication as the cause of the rash.
She had to undergo several skin scrapings and moisturising procedures, and doctors said her skin will be marked for the rest of her life.
Hugo said: “They said they aren’t thinking about the after-effects yet because the priority is to keep her alive.”
At the time of reporting, Helena was due to spend 10 more days in the ICU before being transferred to the infirmary to fully recover.
The youngster is due to undergo some tests today (Wednesday, 6th October). Her dad said: “If everything is in order, it’s very likely the feeding tube will be removed this week so she can go back to eating on her own.”