Baby Tragically Dies After Choking 1 Plastic Ice Cube

Story ByAna LacasaSub EditorJoseph GolderAgencyCentral European News 

A one-year-old baby has tragically died after choking on a plastic ice cube container he was using to treat his injured mouth.

The incident took place around 7 pm in the municipality of Villarmero, in the northern central Spanish province of Burgos, when the unnamed tot put a singular ice cube in a reusable plastic container in his mouth after suffering a blow to the area.

The baby then began coking on the ice cube which was blocking his airways.

Neighbours confirmed to local media that the family asked for help and the Mayor of the town, Juan Tomas Santiago, performed a heart massage on the boy until the arrival of the emergency services.

Once the paramedics arrived, the ice cube was removed from his mouth and the baby was taken to the University Hospital of Burgos to be attended.

Despite the fact the baby was responding properly to medical attention, he died around an hour later due to the prolonged lack of oxygen.

Local media reported that the Mayor was very moved by the tragedy and said: “it is a family that I know personally, and it hurts even more as he is very small”.

He added that the whole town was shocked by the story adding: “We could do nothing.”

The funeral of the baby will take place today.

The ViralTab page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.