1 Peanut In Windpipe Nearly Kills 1yo Tot In Freak Scare

Story By: John FengSub-Editor:  Joseph Golder, Agency: Asia Wire Report   

Video Credit: AsiaWire

This single peanut nearly proved fatal to this one-year-old boy after he breathed the snack into his windpipe and fainted in a freak accident.

The toddler from the city of Shenzhen in South China’s Guangdong Province was taken to Shenzhen Children’s Hospital by his mother on 5th December.

Doctor Wu Yuhui, with the facility’s intensive care unit, said the boy arrived totally unconscious after choking on the peanut.

Picture Credit: AsiaWire

A scan showed a foreign body – believed to be the peanut – lodged in his trachea, preventing him from inhaling enough air.

The boy’s mother said he and other children had been left to play on their own, and he was eating from a bag of salted peanuts when he accidentally choked on one.

Doctor Wu said: “We intubated him and rushed him into emergency surgery.

“During the operation, the surgeon removed the peanut and other smaller fragments from his trachea.

“He was then transferred to the paediatric intensive care unit.”

The boy is now no longer in critical or life-threatening condition, and has since been moved to the general ward, the hospital said.

Doctor Wu has urged parents to learn the Heimlich manoeuvre for cases which require urgent action, and which cannot wait until the child arrives in hospital.

The ViralTab page is created by and dedicated to professional, independent freelance journalists. It is a place for us to showcase our work. When our news is sold to our media partners, we will include the link here.